twitter
rss

Hello friends!

Raise your hand if you like teaching and working on sight words?  In my classroom, I use HeidiSongs to teach the words using music.  What is also great about the resources on her sight, is that she has quite a few things to make games and centers for classroom use.  However, for me, since I use the Daily 5 method for my literacy centers, I can go through her resources pretty quickly.  One of the literacy stations is called "Word Work."  For my classroom, I do a mixture of ABC letter work (games for identification, letter order, letter sounds) and sight word practice.  I created a new packet for my team and I to use as it follows the words outlined in our reading basal (SRA).  The activities are actually all ideas that came from my class last year, so I have to give them credit on helping this adult come up with some things a kindergartner and first grader would enjoy!

The words in the packet are:  a, the, and, go, had, he, I, see, has, you, we, of, in, am, at, to, as, have, is, it.

The first set of activities comes from a group of boys in my class that loved to use color codes and find a mystery picture, whether it was symbols, numbers, or words.  Here is a picture:


The second set of activities is a version of "I Have, Who Has."  My students loved games and were always ready to play for a review, instead of just a traditional flash card review.  The cards are clear and easy to read:



The next activities  are perfect for a "Word Work" type of center, handwriting practice, or even spelling practice.  (Yes, I said spelling in regards to a kindergarten class.  I have heard of school districts assigning spelling lists for as young as kindergarten.)  The first set is designed to work with a set of stamps and two ink pads in red and blue.  You have the child read the sight word aloud and then stamp it out, using red for the vowels and blue for the consonants.  Then they can use math skills (Look! integrating sorting and counting) and figure out how many vowels and consonants are in each word.  I had a few kiddos last year that loved to do this all the time.  The second set of activities is a nod to my girls who would rainbow write EVERYTHING last year!  You can use any type of crayon or marker and let them write the sight words in a pretty fashion! :-) 

The last group of activities in the packet are sight word mini books.  There are 20 mini books, one for each word.  The mini books are not designed to tell a story, but rather just give the ability to practice reading the sight words in phrases and sentences.  There are some non sight words in the books, but hopefully with a little beginning decoding skills and using the picture clues, the students will be able to read the books.  Again, the inspiration came from my class last year.  Many of them did not like to read the stories that were forced to have a plot based only on certain words.  In fact, many of them just enjoyed reading sentences to practice the sight words.  I thought if the sentences had picture cues and was in the form of a book, it would practice proper book reading technique, yet the students wouldn't have to practice reading comprehension skills AND practice sight words at the same.  Which proved to be stressful for many.  I felt I could practice either comprehension or sight words but not both on the same day.  



I hope this proves to be helpful to many of my fellow early childhood teachers!  Enjoy!  (Click on the link below the picture to go to my TpT site.)



0 comments:

Post a Comment